The answer is yes.
There are two types of diabetes in dogs.
- Insulin-deficiency diabetes – This is when a dog doesn’t produce enough insulin and is the most common type.
- Insulin-resistance diabetes – This is when a dog’s body is not utilizing the insulin that it produces properly. This is common in older dog’s that are obese.
When does diabetes in dogs occur?
Diabetes in dogs can occur at any age. However, diabetic dogs are usually 4-14 years old. They are usually diagnosed between the ages of 7-10 years old. Female dogs are twice as likely to develop diabetes than male dogs.
Issues caused by diabetes in dogs.
- Muscle cells and certain organs are starved of the glucose they need for fuel. Insulin is needed in order to break down the glucose for energy. The body starts to use fat and protein for energy when this occurs.
- When there is a high sugar level in the blood, damage to organs occurs. This often occurs in kidneys, the heart, eyes, blood vessels and nerves.
What Can Make a Dog at Risk for Diabetes?
- Chronic or frequent pancreatitis
- Some viral diseases and autoimmune disorders are thought to possibly cause diabetes
What breeds of dogs are prone to diabetes?
- Cocker Spaniel
- Doberman Pinscher
- German Shepherd
- Golden Retriever
- Labrador Retriever
- Toy Poodle
- Miniature Schnauzer
About The Author
Performance Dog Wheelchairs wants you to know that physical limitations are not the end to mobility. Our purpose is to give others and their dogs the ability to seek new adventures and overcome physical challenges with one of our dog wheelchairs.
A dog wheelchair is also referred to as a handicap dog cart or wheels for handicap dogs. One of the common needs is for hip dysplasia. Our dog wheelchairs are for small and large breeds.
We offer a full support dog wheelchair which is also referred to as a dog quad wheelchair or four wheel dog wheelchair, a dog wheelchair for back legs and the patented SitGo Dog Wheelchair. This is the only one that allows your dog to go from standing to sitting without having to remove it.