A spinal stroke in dogs is medically known as Fibrocartilaginous Embolism (FCE). This occurs when there is a blockage in a blood vessel in the spinal cord. This can cause immediate paralysis in one or more of your dog’s legs.
Spinal stroke in dogs symptoms
- Severe pain that comes and goes quickly
- Partial or full paralysis in one or more legs
- Dog walks awkwardly or wobbly
- Dog appears weak in posture
Physical Therapy for Spinal stroke recovery
- Stretching which helps with mobility and flexibility
- Hydrotherapy with underwater treadmill
- Laser Therapy For Dogs which helps with blood flood and pain management for example
- Acupuncture which helps with blood flood and pain management also
- Exercise in moderation depending on your dog’s ability and breed is good in addition to physical therapy
- Dog Wheelchair is a great option to be used for recovery and during physical therapy.
Please be patient and realize that healing and recovery takes time. Your dog should fully recover. However, in severe cases a dog may show weakness in a limb, but will not be in pain. Your dog should avoid stairs while recovering. Another great thing besides that your dog should make a full recovery, is that this probably won’t happen again.
About The Author
Performance Dog Wheelchairs wants you to know that physical limitations are not the end to mobility. Our purpose is to give others and their dogs the ability to seek new adventures and overcome physical challenges with one of our Best Friend Mobility Dog Wheelchairs.
A dog wheelchair is also referred to as a handicap dog cart or dog harness with wheels. A dog wheelchair for hip dysplasia is one of the common needs. We offer three different models and have small dog wheelchairs and large dog wheelchairs.
We offer a full support dog wheelchair which is also referred to as a dog quad wheelchair or four wheel dog wheelchair, a dog wheelchair for back legs and the patented SitGo Dog Wheelchair. This is the only one that allows your dog to go from standing to sitting without having to remove it. This is the best dog wheelchair on the market!